1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cup arborio rice
4 cups broth
1 pound asparagus, cut into 1 1/2 inches pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
4 oz light cream cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the onion until browned.
- Add the garlic and rice and cook 1 minute.
- Add the broth and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and bell peppers without stirring. Cover and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until the mixture is creamy.
- Return to a simmer and continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot and garnish with additional grated parmesan cheese if desired.