Friday, January 12, 2007

banana-chocolate cake

The smell of a cake baking in the oven is so comforting! Here is one of my personal favorite: banana-chocolate cake. What's even better? Well, you can have it, guilt-free! In this recipe, I substituted all of the oil for unsweetened applesauce, and as you can see, I got a delicious result!

I use unsweetened applesauce to substitute the fat in almost all my baked goods recipes, especially muffins and cakes. This allow to lower the fat content while keeping a moist and chewy texture. Try the recipe below and you'll see for yourself! It's a piece of cake to make! (sorry, I just HAD to use this expression! lol ;)


Banana-chocolate cake
12 servings
.
1 cup smashed bananas
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Mix the bananas, eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar in a bowl.
  3. In another bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and chocolate chips.
  4. Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and blend until moisten.
  5. Pour in a cake pan.
  6. Bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutritional facts for 1 serving
(1/12 recipe)
175 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated,
34 g carbs, 2.2 g fibers, 3.4 g protein
.
Compared to the original recipe, which used 1/2 cup oil
instead of the same quantity of unsweetened applesauce,
you save 75 calories and 8 g fat!!!

Enjoy! Mmmm!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bonjour Mademoiselle, Je venais de faire ton recipe! et tu pense comme moi! J'espere que ca sera tres bien ! Merci - Je te dirai dans une heure!

Jeanne de Cape Cod, MA - Americaine mais m"aime parler francais beaucoup!

Unknown said...

excusez - j"aime

Unknown said...

Wow. Well, the pictures are already making me hungry and eager to make one myself. How many attempts have you done to achieve the best taste for it? I'm sure that the kids would love it and that it would be healthy as well (not too much of course). Have you tried other fruits other than banana? I mean I have this craving for strawberries and I don't know if it would be such a good idea to use it.