A soup in the middle of a canadian winter is so heartwarming. The recomforting barley suits perfectly the taste of hearty shiitake mushrooms. Moreover, this tasty low-fat soup is deliciously healthy with the viscous fibers of barley and the vitamins and minerals of shiitake.
1 tablespoon oil (olive or canola)
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups shiitake mushrooms
2 cups button mushrooms (regular white mushrooms)
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 cups vegetable broth
2/3 cup barley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
- Heat oil at medium intensity and cook the onions and garlic until softened.
- Increase the heat at medium-high intensity and add the mushrooms. Cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Reduce the heat to medium and sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms. Cook, mixing constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the broth. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and ppper. Add sour cream and mix well.
Nutrition facts for 1 serving:
165 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated,
28 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein